Sunday, July 15, 2007

Curious about Wellness and Health: How Do These Impact You and Your Life?

Let us be about setting high standards for life, love, creativity, and wisdom. If our expectations in these areas are low, we are not likely to experience wellness. Setting high standards makes every day and every decade worth looking forward to.” - Greg Anderson, American athlete

It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.” - Mohandas Gandhi, Indian leader

Wellness and health play a huge and important part in my life, my actions, my thoughts, and my schedule. I was prompted to write this blog, because I have just joined forces with a “We Deliver Wellness” company. You are probably wondering why I would ever take on an additional career.

I recently met a delightful young woman at a Chamber of Commerce meeting. When I shared that I teach ten fitness classes a week, she shared that she works with wellness products and that we should get together. We did. And, I was impressed. The company supplies supplements – I am currently trying their vitality products – household products without chemicals, and beauty products – I am also trying a skin care product.

Presently, I am a designated “Preferred Customer.” However, if and when I am thrilled with the results, I plan to start marketing the products. I like their system and their focus on “wellness” and, of course, health.

When I started searching for “wellness” quotations, I found excellent ones, but few. Then when I searched for “health” I was completely blown away by the number. I could write a hundred blogs filled with “health” quotations. So I picked some for you and for me which follow:

Some general feelings:
  • There are six components of wellness: proper weight and diet, proper exercise, breaking the smoking habit, control of alcohol, stress management and periodic exams.” - Kenneth H. Cooper, American soldier
  • What is called genius is the abundance of life and health.” - Henry David Thoreau, American author
  • Health is the greatest possession. Contentment is the greatest treasure. Confidence is the greatest friend. Non-being is the greatest joy.” - Lao Tzu, Greek philosopher
  • Family, nature and health all go together.” - Olivia Newton-John, American musician
  • To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.” – Buddha, Indian leader
  • You can have peace of mind, improved health and an ever-increasing flow of energy. Life can be full of joy and satisfaction.” - Norman Vincent Peale, American clergyman

Those with a bit of a twist:

  • Time and health are two precious assets that we don't recognize and appreciate until they have been depleted.” - Denis Waitley, American writer
  • If we could give every individual the right amount of nourishment and exercise, not too little and not too much, we would have found the safest way to health.” – Hippocrates, Greek scientist
  • The ability to be in the present moment is a major component of mental wellness.” - Abraham Maslow, American psychologist
  • You end up as you deserve. In old age you must put up with the face, the friends, the health, and the children you have earned.” - Judith Viorst, American author
  • Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits.” - Thomas Jefferson, American President
  • Yoga is wonderful. It clears up most health problems. It also gives you an overview.” - Helen Reddy, Australian actress

It is true about Yoga. I have been teaching a modified Yoga class for Seniors once a week, and I already notice a big difference in how I feel - much calmer and centered!

And three quotations to think about and work upon:

  • Health is not a condition of matter, but of Mind.” - Mary Baker Eddy, American scientist
  • Look up, laugh loud, talk big, keep the color in your cheek and the fire in your eye, adorn your person, maintain your health, your beauty and your animal spirits.” - William Hazlitt, English critic
  • The first wealth is health.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson, American poet

Have a healthy and well week!