Saturday, May 17, 2008

Curious about Triumphs: What Are Yours? What Do They Mean to You?

Definition of Triumph: A state of joy or exultation for success. Success causing exultation; victory; conquest; as, the triumph of knowledge. To celebrate victory with pomp; to rejoice over success; to exult in an advantage gained; to exhibit exultation. To obtain victory; to be successful; to prevail. To be prosperous; to flourish.

I chose Triumph(s) for this blog’s theme, because I am working on my upcoming e-book and toolkit, Prosperity: Triumphs of a Portfolio Career. It is subtitled: You Can Have and Do It All! - Experience a Life You Love, Filled with Abundance.

I feel that American journalist Tom Wolfe said it all, “If a man has a talent and cannot use it, he has failed. If he has a talent and uses only half of it, he has partly failed. If he has a talent and learns somehow to use the whole of it, he has gloriously succeeded, and won a satisfaction and a triumph few men ever know.”

In an earlier post, I wrote about how important variety is to me – and I plan to use it as the theme for my upcoming e-newsletter, Portfolio Potpourri. I have discovered through my free Portfolio Career assessment/test that there is a plethora of others who also love variety and want to experience the success and triumphs of living a Portfolio Career (many different careers at the same time).

As I perused the triumph related quotations, I often read about dealing with struggle and obstacles, along with different approaches to experiencing triumph and triumphs. Yes, they all relate well to handling and loving a Portfolio Career. Here are some samples:
  • The harder the struggle, the more glorious the triumph. Self-realization demands very great struggle.” - Swami Sivananda, Indian philosopher
  • The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.” - Thomas Paine, English writer
  • Joy is of the will which labors, which overcomes obstacles, which knows triumph.” - William Butler Yeats, Irish poet
  • To win without risk is to triumph without glory.” - Pierre Corneille, French dramatist
  • Without the element of uncertainty, the bringing off of even, the greatest business triumph would be dull, routine, and eminently unsatisfying.” - J. Paul Getty, American businessman
  • If I could learn to treat triumph and disaster the same, then I would find bliss.” - Kathie Lee Gifford, American entertainer

A few more:

  • Always seek out the seed of triumph in every adversity.” - Og Mandino, American author
  • Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.” - H. L. Mencken, American writer
  • If misery loves company, then triumph demands an audience.” - Brian Moore, Irish novelist
  • A dream will always triumph over reality, once it is given the chance.” - Stanislaw Lem, Polish writer
  • I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” - Nelson Mandela, South African statesman
  • Not in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but in ourselves, are triumph and defeat.” - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, American poet

The next two say it all for me:

I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph. And there's purpose and worth to each and every life.” - Ronald Reagan, American President

For me, the vast marvel is to be alive. For man, or for flowers or beast or bird, the supreme triumph is to be most vividly and perfectly alive.” - Al Purdy, Canadian poet

Tell me, what triumphs have you experienced? And, as Purdy describes, is your “supreme triumph to be most vividly and perfectly alive?”