Sunday, March 01, 2009

Curious about Follow: Follow, Following, Follow Through and Follow-up

Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors where there were only walls.” - Joseph Campbell, American author

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.” - Chauncey Depew, American politician

The word “follow” and “followers” has been on mind for quite awhile, because of my involvement with Twitter. As I have mentioned before, I am enamored with social media networking. One of my most recent goals has been to become knowledgeable about Twitter, and learn how to use it to advantage. When I was first introduced to Twitter, I didn’t “get it” and what advantages it offers. However, after checking out the “follow” quotations and considering the scope, I decided to think about the different ramifications of “follow.”

We all have values and beliefs that we follow. And, whether they are good for us or not, we have habits – usually daily – that we follow. Then, there are the people in our lives – those we know and those we don’t know personally – whom we follow. And, if we are doing any kind of marketing and/or selling, we know the importance of follow-up.

So, I ask you, what does the word “follow” conjure up for you? Is the path you are following providing you with health, happiness, wisdom and wealth? Or could it be better?

Let me share some of the wonderful quotations I found in my search:
  • High achievers spot rich opportunities swiftly, make big decisions quickly and move into action immediately. Follow these principles and you can make your dreams come true.” - Robert H. Schuller, American clergyman
  • The most important thing is to follow your instinct and get involved with some friends who have similar tastes and aspirations and like music as much as you do.” - Mick Taylor, English musician
  • It was character that got us out of bed, commitment that moved us into action, and discipline that enabled us to follow through.” - Zig Ziglar, American writer and speaker
  • You must know in your heart before anyone else does what is going to be good and then follow through.” - Bill Budge, American businessman
  • To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.” - William Shakespeare, English dramatist
  • Never treat anything you do as a stepping stone. Do it fully, and follow it completely.” - Mira Nair, Indian director

And a few more for good measure:

  • A life lived with integrity - even if it lacks the trappings of fame and fortune is a shinning star in whose light others may follow in the years to come.” - Denis Waitley, American writer
  • I'll tell you one thing: Don't ever give anybody your best advice, because they're not going to follow it.” - Jack Nicholson, American actor
  • Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which says, 'This is the real me,' and when you have found that attitude, follow it.” - James Truslow Adams, American historian
  • Action is a great restorer and builder of confidence. Inaction is not only the result, but the cause, of fear. Perhaps the action you take will be successful; perhaps different action or adjustments will have to follow. But any action is better than no action at all.” - Norman Vincent Peale, American clergyman and writer
  • Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.” - Albert Camus, French philosopher
  • “Don't follow a trend. Follow your heart.” - Krist Novoselic, American musician


Again, what or whom do you follow? Has your life been enriched by it? Let me hear from you.