Saturday, October 17, 2009

Curious about Reach: What Are You Reaching For? How High, Wide, or Low Is Your Reach?

Stride forward with a firm, steady step knowing with a deep, certain inner knowing that you will reach every goal you set yourselves, that you will achieve every aim .” - Eileen Caddy, English celebrity

I really relate to Eileen Caddy’s quotation. One of my top goals and/or aims has been to reach a wide number of people with whom to form relationships, so that I can help them with their communications, careers and creative ideas. Earlier this year I was involved with an excellent training course in marketing. Our leader suggested that we become involved with Facebook and form a large group of friends.

Eureka! I have been loving every minute of reaching a large and wide group of great people from all over the world. Hence, I chose “Reach” for this week’s theme.

When I started to read and pick the quotations, I found quite a variety of approaches. So many applied to my life and business that I decided to stray a bit from my original idea(s). I also urge you to let yourself consider how your experiences relate to reach and what you are reaching for.

Warning: a change in pace, but still a foundation of reaching.

There are no mistakes. The events we bring upon ourselves, no matter how unpleasant, are necessary in order to learn what we need to learn; whatever steps we take, they're necessary to reach the places we've chosen to go.” - Richard Bach, American novelist

Richard Bach is speaking directly to me. I have always felt that everything happens for a reason. I have spent this whole last week learning from the “events I brought on myself.” I spend a great deal of time on the computer. And, I also pride myself on being rather savvy when it comes to computers. So, last Sunday I was working on cleaning up my computer’s software when I inadvertently deleted some files I shouldn’t have.

As soon as I realized this, I attempted a restore which left me without my operating system able to boot up. After spending several hours trying everything I could think of, I admitted the machine to the computer hospital and it is still there. (Should be released on Monday). Yes, it has been “unpleasant” and I have learned the importance of taking care of my laptop, having backups (hopefully, the ones I took to the computer hospital will fill in the spaces), and having important files on flash disks. Please reach out and cross your fingers for me.

On with the quotations:
  • The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.” – Confucius, Chinese philosopher
  • You reach a point where you don't work for money.” - Walt Disney, American cartoonist
  • People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.” - Helen Keller, American author
  • Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.” - Salvador Dali, Spanish artist
  • Your problem is to bridge the gap which exists between where you are now and the goal you intend to reach.” - Earl Nightingale, American entertainer
  • Never quit. It is the easiest cop-out in the world. Set a goal and don't quit until you attain it. When you do attain it, set another goal, and don't quit until you reach it. Never quit.” - Bear Bryant, American coach

And three more that I relate to completely:

  • It's not only children who grow. Parents do too. As much as we watch to see what our children do with their lives, they are watching us to see what we do with ours. I can't tell my children to reach for the sun. All I can do is reach for it, myself.” - Joyce Maynard, American writer
  • It is a paradoxical but profoundly true and important principle of life that the most likely way to reach a goal is to be aiming not at that goal itself but at some more ambitious goal beyond it.” - Arnold J. Toynbee, British historian
  • Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.” - Benjamin Franklin, American statesman

What are you reaching for? It is fine and productive to take small steps and keep on keeping on. I would love to hear from you!