Saturday, January 01, 2011

Curious about Calendar and Calendars: How Much Effect Do They Have on You and Your Life?

My wife's jealousy is getting ridiculous. The other day she looked at my calendar and wanted to know who May was.” - Rodney Dangerfield, American comedian

No other date on the calendar more potently symbolizes all that our nation stands for than the Fourth of July.” - Mac Thornberry, American politician

You are curious, I am sure, about my choosing “Calendar” for this blog’s theme. I have several reasons. First of all, I love calendars – the monthly change of the main image, the variety in subjects featured in calendars, and the wonderful messages sported by many.

The other main reasons are that for years, I have been following my tradition of purchasing a calendar for each of my five children as one of their Christmas gifts. I know it may sound odd, but I thoroughly enjoy taking the time to see and consider all of the variety of themes that will fit taste and personalities.

While I am picking out the gift calendars, I also am choosing my calendars. I actually have five places I hang them plus a one-a-day box calendar that sits next to my computer. Then, the first of January is always a delight, because it is the day that I unpackage my calendars and place them in their new homes.

This year I even had requests for certain theme calendars which made the whole process even more fun and rewarding.

There wasn’t a plethora of calendar quotations, but I think that you will find the ones I chose to be quite interesting and in some cases, humorous. Here goes:
  • I value the friend who for me finds time on his calendar, but I cherish the friend who for me does not consult his calendar.” - Robert Brault, Software writer and poet
  • I've been on a calendar, but I've never been on time.” - Marilyn Monroe, American actress
  • I've found a formula for avoiding these exaggerated fears of age; you take care of every day - let the calendar take care of the years.” - Ed Wynn, American entertainer
  • Don't be fooled by the calendar. There are only as many days in the year as you make use of.” - Charles Richards, Canadian politician
  • Ethics and equity and the principles of justice do not change with the calendar.” –
    David Herbert Lawrence, English writer
  • Every time you tear a leaf off a calendar, you present a new place for new ideas and progress.” - Charles Kettering, American inventor

And, a few more:

  • I've never been one of those who wanted to fill my calendar up 90 percent of the time.” - Gilbert Gottfried, American comedian
  • If we carry on filling up the calendar, we keep on pushing the athlete, we shorten the athletes longevity. The risk is to shorten a career that could have lasted 10 years because the athlete is burnt out.” - Alberto Juantorena, Cuban athlete
  • My 2005 calendar we actually did a shoot in Lake Las Vegas. Since I had requests do some swimwear and athletic shots we tried them and they came out good so we inserted them into the new calendar.” - Natalie Gulbis, American athlete
  • The main thing is healthy eating, exercise, which I do for special events, like if it's Sports Illustrated, or the swim suit catalogue for Victoria's Secret, or my own calendar that I did for the year 2000.” - Heidi Klum, German model
  • Tomorrow is only found in the calendar of fools.” - Og Mandino, American author
  • You are right that I don't have a lot of spare time because I love to stay busy and keep my calendar full.” - Kiana Tom, American model
  • You have to calendar time for yourself even if you have no idea what you're going to do with it.” - Susie Bright, American writer

So, how about you? Do you use and/or enjoy your calendars. I would love to read your Feedback.