Saturday, April 30, 2005

Curious about What Makes a Seminar Superlative?

Let me set the scene. In February a man I had been learning from for years, but only knew through the Internet, was finally coming to Cleveland to give his Internet Marketing Briefing. I signed up immediately (and was actually the first person on his list) and looked forward to April 28th when Dr. Ralph Wilson would be here in person.

Little did I know that I would be moving on April 27th. Preparation for this first move in eleven years, along with keeping up with my own “Portfolio Career,” made me feel like I had walked to California and back. Still, there was no way that I would give up attending the seminar – and, am I glad that I attended.

It was in a category that I rarely experience – it was superlative! Wilson had us enthralled for close to seven hours, and as worn out as I was from my grueling move, I never felt the least bit sleepy.

What made the seminar so superlative?

First of all, Wilson has been there and done it all. He has been involved with Internet Marketing since the early 90s. He started on a shoestring, tried everything and keeps trying because, as we all know, the Internet changes daily. Wilson is not only a success, filled with wisdom and knowledge, passionate about what he does, but he is also willing to share it all.

He has a delightful personality that shines through his whole presentation. He is willing to answer questions, yet keeps enough control over time, that the seminar never dragged. If we had a five minute break, it lasted only five minutes.

He interjects humor and interaction throughout. And, during the breaks, he was always willing to answer the more technical questions that some of us had.

One of the techniques that amazed me was Wilson’s use of PowerPoint. I generally hate it, because so many presenters depend upon the slides to give the talk. They read them – often with their backs to the participants – and drone on and on.

Wilson provided us with handouts that mirrored the slides, so he did not take much time with each. Each slide made one and only one point, and in addition to the few words shown, each had a meaningful, and often fun and funny, graphic. These added extra oomph and interest throughout.

He also treated us with respect – never making anyone feel stupid for asking a question. And, even though he had the ability to explain everything in a basic and straightforward manner, he was never, never boring.

I could go on and on, but will plan to write an article in the future for my Powerful Presentations website about Wilson’s incredible approach. If you would like to learn more about and from Dr. Ralph Wilson, visit his website by clicking HERE.