Sunday, August 26, 2007

Curious about Determination: What Does It Mean to You? Do You Have It? Do You Use It? How?

Definition of Determination: The quality of mind which reaches definite conclusions; decision of character; resoluteness. That which is determined upon; result of deliberation; purpose; conclusion formed; fixed resolution.

Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” - Og Mandino, American author

When working toward a dream/goal, we are urged to make a commitment, practice perseverance and discipline, and basically “stick with it.” I am not sure about you, but for me when I am determined to reach my dream/goal, I am more definite, resolute and fixed in attaining what I want than usual.

We all face obstacles, no matter how well we have planned and how hard we are working. If, however, we have enough determination to work through those obstacles, we are on our way to success. I have mentioned already that I am involved in a new and additional business opportunity. I know from experience that it won’t all be “smooth sailing.” I am determined to stick with it through the tricky times, because the pay off will be well worth it. Besides, it makes us strong and does add to our character.

Let’s hear about determination from the experts:
  • What is character but the determination of incident? What is incident but the illustration of character?” - Henry James, American writer
  • An invincible determination can accomplish almost anything and in this lies the great distinction between great men and little men.” - Thomas Fuller, English clergyman
  • A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done.” - Vince Lombardi, American coach
  • Crystallize your goals. Make a plan for achieving them and set yourself a deadline. Then, with supreme confidence, determination and disregard for obstacles and other people's criticisms, carry out your plan.” - Paul J. Meyer, American businessman
  • Determination gives you the resolve to keep going in spite of the roadblocks that lay before you.” - Denis Waitley, American writer

Some quotations with a bit of a different twist:

  • Do not underestimate the determination of a quiet man.” - Iain Duncan Smith, British politician
  • No-one gets an iron-clad guarantee of success. Certainly, factors like opportunity, luck and timing are important. But the backbone of success is usually found in old-fashioned, basic concepts like hard work, determination, good planning and perseverance.” - Mia Hamm, American athlete
  • One of the things that made me persist in the Antarctic in the face of sickening discouragements was my determination to name a portion of the earth's surface after my father.” - Lincoln Ellsworth, American explorer
  • Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be.” - George A. Sheehan, American writer
  • When you locate good in yourself, approve of it with determination. When you locate evil in yourself, despise it as something detestable.” - Xun Zi, Chinese philosopher

And, here are some to post next to your work area:

I've always found that anything worth achieving will always have obstacles in the way and you've got to have that drive and determination to overcome those obstacles on route to whatever it is that you want to accomplish.” - Chuck Norris, American actor

I never could have done what I have done without the habits of punctuality, order, and diligence, without the determination to concentrate myself on one subject at a time.” - Charles Dickens, English novelist

So, do you possess determination? Review and set some goals. Then start living with determination. The results will be extraordinary! I know from experience!