Sunday, July 27, 2008

Curious about Rewards: What Rewards Are You Working For? What Do You Want to Receive? Have You Manifested It?

If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards.” - Paul Bryant, American coach

We will receive not what we idly wish for but what we justly earn. Our rewards will always be in exact proportion to our service.” - Earl Nightingale, American entertainer

I chose “Rewards” for this week’s theme, because at last I have found the perfect title for my “Portfolio Career” e-book. And, in response, I am back to writing – vigorously and furiously. So what is the new, and what I feel, is the final title?

I have had a portfolio career (many careers at the same time) since I was in my teens, and have been asked hundreds of times, “Why?”

When I started work on the book, I wrestled with the answers to that question. I started with, How to Work Part-Time, Full-Time, and Love Every Minute. However, some portfolio careers don’t offer part-time alternatives.

Next, I titled it, Prosperity – Triumphs of a Portfolio Career. However, I didn’t want readers to feel that the reason – and it is one of many – for having a portfolio career was for the money. I also decided to focus on the triumphs, so added the words, “The Nine Major Triumphs.” However, when I ran that by people, I noticed there was confusion and that triumphs can be an awkward concept.

So what do most people crave? Yes, rewards – personal, financial, social, physical and mental.

Viola! The current title is, Healthy, Wise, and Wealthy – The Rewards of a Portfolio Career.

There are so many rewards that I decided to find out what the experts shared about them. Here goes:
  • Giving credit where credit is due is a very rewarding habit to form. Its rewards are inestimable.” - Loretta Young, American actress
  • There is nothing man will not attempt when great enterprises hold out the promise of great rewards.” - Titus Livius, Roman historian
  • Nothing I've ever done has given me more joys and rewards than being a father to my children.” - Bill Cosby, American comedian
  • There's a lot to be said for doing what you're not supposed to do, and the rewards of doing what you're supposed to do are more subtle and take longer to become apparent, which maybe makes it less attractive. But your life is the blueprint you make after the building is built.” - Richard Ford, American author
  • One of the rewards of success is freedom, the ability to do whatever you like.” – Sting, British musician
  • Dogs and philosophers do the greatest good and get the fewest rewards.” – Diogenes, Greek philosopher

A few with a different twist:

  • Rewards and punishments are the lowest form of education.” - Zhuang Zi, Chinese philosopher
  • It is indeed hard for the strong to be just to the weak, but acting justly always has its rewards.” - Eamon de Valera, Irish statesman
  • This has taught me that being pleasant is always so much more productive, for I know well the rewards for being good-natured.” - Marie Windsor, American actress
  • The pressures are intense, because the rewards for success and the penalty for failure are more and more.” - Alan Hansen, Scottish athlete
  • This joy of discovery is real, and it is one of our rewards. So too is the approval of our work by our peers.” - Henry Taube, Canadian scientist
  • Do not try to push your way through to the front ranks of your profession; do not run after distinctions and rewards; but do your utmost to find an entry into the world of beauty.” - Sydney Smith, English clergyman

Three to chew on in the coming days:

  • The rewards of virtue alone abide secure.” – Sophocles, Greek poet
  • What I am suggesting is hard work and it can be slow work, but the rewards are well worth it.” - Jesse Helms, American politician
  • There are no rewards or punishments - only consequences.” - William Ralph Inge, English clergyman

So, I ask you, “What rewards do you work toward and enjoy?”