Sunday, May 24, 2009

Curious about Fortitude: What Does It Mean to You? Do You Have and/or Practice It?

Definition of Fortitude: Power to resist attack; strength; firmness. That strength or firmness of mind which enables a person to encounter danger with coolness and courage, or to bear pain or adversity without murmuring, depression, or despondency; passive courage; resolute endurance; firmness in confronting or bearing up against danger or enduring trouble.

I know of no higher fortitude than stubbornness in the face of overwhelming odds.” - Louis Nizer, English lawyer

Do you ever feel like you and your fortitude are being tested? I just had a week like that. I strongly believe, however, that this usually is an indication that this is the “storm before the inevitable opportunity appears.” I also have faith that there will be a solution to most adversities.

Last Saturday I got news that one of my fitness classes was being cancelled at the end of the month because of a lack of funding. However, in the meantime, at another club I was informed that I would be given a new class at the beginning of next month, along with more time teaching two of my current classes at a third club.

On Tuesday morning, my car disappeared. Many commented – even at the car rental place – about how calmly I was taking it. I accepted the fact that the car was taken for parts. However, it turns out that today I received a call from the police that it had been found and had obviously been used by some kids for joy-riding. Phew!

I did not find a lot of quotations from the experts, yet, the ones I did are great:
  • Affliction is the wholesome soil of virtue, where patience, honor, sweet humility, and calm fortitude, take root and strongly flourish.” - David Mallet, Scottish dramatist
  • "Character contributes to beauty. It fortifies a woman as her youth fades. A mode of conduct, a standard of courage, discipline, fortitude, and integrity can do a great deal to make a woman beautiful.” - Jacqueline Bisset, English actress
  • Fortitude is the guard and support of the other virtues.” - John Locke, English philosopher
  • Fortitude is the marshal of thought, the armor of the will, and the fort of reason.” - Francis Bacon, English philosopher
  • I learned a lot in those first years in Miami, while struggling just for survival, by observing my father's fortitude.” - Desi Arnaz, American actor
  • I pray they will carry on in spite of that dreadful monster prejudice, and with patience, courage, fortitude and perseverance achieve success for themselves.” - Major Taylor, American athlete

And one to bring a smile to your face:

Nothing is more admirable than the fortitude with which millionaires tolerate the disadvantages of their wealth.” – Jean Rostand, French scientist

The word fortitude just sounds like strength. Get used to having and practicing it. You will be glad you did.