Sunday, April 26, 2009

Curious about Participation: How Do You Use It? How Important Is Participating – and Where – In Your Life and Business?

Definition of Participation: The act or state of participating, or sharing in common with others; as, a participation in joy or sorrows. Community; fellowship; association.

Life it is not just a series of calculations and a sum total of statistics, it's about experience, it's about participation, it is something more complex and more interesting than what is obvious.” - Daniel Libeskind, Polish architect

Many of my Internet involvements lately have included Web 2.0 and loads of Participation in Social Media. I am an active user of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Plaxo Plus and Digg. I started thinking about the time involved because of this participation and how worthwhile it is.

I know that many skeptics feel it is a huge waste of time. I beg to differ. I feel strongly that it will only continue to grow because of the participation. Even though we have had forums, discussion groups and membership sites in the past, we did not build the both fun and serious participation I am experiencing in Social Media.

I have also experienced more traffic to my websites along with more people taking my Portfolio Career assessment and signing up for my e-newsletter.

Let’s shift our thinking to other means and advantages of participation. Do you participate in clubs, associations and organizations? Some of my best friends I met in Toastmasters, computer user groups, Chambers of Commerce and Mensa. Basically, it all happened because of my participation.

As you probably know by now, I teach group fitness classes. Those who participate, not only improve their fitness level, they also become friends with other “regulars” and cheer each other on.

When as a speaker and storyteller I give workshops and other presentations, if I can get the listeners to participate with feedback and other interaction, I notice that they appreciate what they are learning so much more than if I were just flashing PowerPoint slides on a screen.

Let’s find out what the experts think about participation:
  • Such happiness as life is capable of comes from the full participation of all our powers in the endeavor to wrest from each changing situations of experience its own full and unique meaning.” - John Dewey, American philosopher
  • Participation, I think, or one of the best methods of educating.” - Tom Glazer, American musician
  • Many activities and team play participation will give you a training that will prove invaluable later on in life.” - Walter Annenberg, American businessman
  • I envision a future where there'll be 300 million reporters, where anyone from anywhere can report for any reason. It's freedom of participation absolutely realized.” - Matt Drudge, American celebrity
  • Conflict cannot survive without your participation.” - Wayne Dyer, American writer

And, one to take with you – especially if you are a storyteller or speaker.

Participation is easily obtained with Latin chant.” - Richard Morris, English clergyman

Have a wonderful week and do let me know how you participate – and, with life!