Monday, July 13, 2009

Curious about Contribution: There Are a Variety of Ways to Contribute. What Kinds of Contributions Do You Make?

Your sole contribution to the sum of things is yourself.” - Frank Crane, American clergyman

Only those who have learned the power of sincere and selfless contribution experience life's deepest joy: true fulfillment.” - Tony Robbins, American author

If we consider contribution and contributing without feeling that it always has to be money, we can find all sorts of wonderful contributions. Yes, if we have money to give, that’s great. Yet, I know in these shaky financial times, we can be creative with our contributions in other ways.

I suggest that we all make a list of contributions we can make to enhance the lives of those we come in contact with. Contribute the following: a smile and a kind word to everyone we meet; clothing that is in fine shape, but doesn’t fit or suit us anymore; the same for toys, books, puzzles, and games; compliments and applause for good works; and the most valuable contribution of all – our time.

Take time to visit a friend you haven’t seen for awhile. Or, even someone who has been bedridden. Bring a bouquet of wild flowers. How about helping someone who is having a real challenge with his or her computer?

Let me share a few of the quotations that offered a huge variety of contributions:
  • You look out there and there's people that, their day is changed because of your contribution to it.” - Brad Paisley, American musician
  • Players should know that if you can't make the contribution of the winning shot, that your attitude every day when you come to practice, or the positive contribution you make through cheering and keeping up team morale, is just as important in the overall picture.” - Sue Wicks, American athlete
  • I've tried to handle winning well, so that maybe we'll win again, but I've also tried to handle failure well. If those serve as good examples for teachers and kids, then I hope that would be a contribution I have made to sport. Not just basketball, but to sport.” - Mike Krzyzewski, American athlete
  • Anyone who acquires more than the usual amount of knowledge concerning a subject is bound to leave it as his contribution to the knowledge of the world.” - Liberty Hyde Bailey, American scientist.
  • I feel now it's useless to keep hoping. The way things are today, we live in a world that needs laughter, and I've decided if I can make people laugh, I'm making a more important contribution.” - Paul Lynde, American comedian
  • I feel that my whole life is a contribution.” - Pete Seeger, American musician

WOW! How wonderful to feel that one’s whole life is a contribution. Do let me know what you think and do with contributions. And also what you plan to do.