Sunday, December 27, 2009

Curious about Magic: Do You Believe in It? Use It? Or Feel that It Is Baloney?

Definition of Magic: A comprehensive name for all of the pretended arts which claim to produce effects by the assistance of supernatural beings, or departed spirits, or by a mastery of secret forces in nature attained by a study of occult science, including enchantment, conjuration, witchcraft, sorcery, necromancy, incantation, etc.

A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work.” - Colin Powell, American statesman

You are probably wondering why I, a believer in the Law of Attraction with a background in mathematics and science, would choose “magic” for this week’s theme. Well, I do believe that we make our own magic. We do have to believe that it will work and take Colin Powell’s formula to heart.

Each year, I like to set a theme for that year. Last year’s was “remarkable” and when I list all of the good and bad experiences in my 2009, it was a remarkable year – actually life changing in many ways. I suggest that you make a two column list – experiences on one side and what you gained and learned from the experience on the other side. What a magical eye opener!

So, why “magic?” One of my goals for this holiday window was to create a new blog to accompany the e-book I am writing about “How to Reap the Rewards of a Portfolio Career.” It is a wordpress.org blog, and I have been learning and grappling with the ins and outs involved. When I picked the domain name, I decided on www.MagicInTheMix.com because I feel that through this blog I will be able to encourage those who want to or are pursuing a Portfolio Career (many careers at the same time).

Down with the nay-sayers! I feel that with the right attitude, tools, and focus, that we will find “Magic in the Mix.” I know that I do already. Yes, I am even more determined than ever to have a magical year.

The quotations I found were many and showed that the experts vary in how they view magic. What about you? Here goes:
  • There is a real magic in enthusiasm. It spells the difference between mediocrity and accomplishment.” - Norman Vincent Peale, American clergyman
  • Words to me were magic. You could say a word and it could conjure up all kinds of images or feelings or a chilly sensation or whatever. It was amazing to me that words had this power.” - Amy Tan, American novelist
  • Real magic in relationships means an absence of judgment of others.” - Wayne Dyer, American psychologist
  • Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.” -
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German poet
  • Magic lies in challenging what seems impossible.” - Carol Moseley Braun, American politician
  • Our time here is magic! It's the only space you have to realize whatever it is that is beautiful, whatever is true, whatever is great, whatever is potential, whatever is rare, whatever is unique, in. It's the only space.” – Ben Okri, Nigerian poet

And, some more with a little different twist:

  • Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large. Then make the dream real.” -
    Donald Wills Douglas, American aviator
  • Every great man, every successful man, no matter what the field of endeavor, has known the magic that lies in these words: every adversity has the seed of an equivalent or greater benefit.” - W. Clement Stone, American businessman
  • An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.” –
    William Bernbach, American businessman
  • And where does magic come from? I think that magic's in the learning.” - Dar Williams, American musician
  • Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable.” - Margot Fonteyn, English dancer
  • I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere behind the morning.” - J. B. Priestley, British writer

One more to chew upon:

“Believe in love. Believe in magic.
Hell, believe in Santa Clause. Believe in others. Believe in yourself. Believe in your dreams. If you don't, who will?” - Jon Bon Jovi, American musician

So, do you believe in magic? And how about choosing a theme for 2010? Do you have one? Let me hear from you.