Sunday, January 17, 2010

Curious about Status: What Is Yours? Do You Have a Status Quo?

Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.” - Ronald Reagan, American President

For years my wedding ring has done its job. It has led me not into temptation. It has reminded my husband numerous times at parties that it's time to go home. It has been a source of relief to a dinner companion. It has been a status symbol in the maternity ward.” - Erma Bombeck, American journalist

I chose “status” for this week’s theme because in the past week I have heard it used as status quo, status symbol and our status statement on Facebook. Thinking about it, I realize that our status in a company, on the Internet, in a group to which we belong, our location and/or in our profession helps define us to others and ourselves.

When I first joined Facebook, the marketing leader with whom I was working suggested that I work on creating a large group of friends for both credibility and status. If we also work on becoming an expert in our chosen career or careers (as I have), we will establish a status that will bring readers, subscribers, and buyers to us. In addition, it will help us to find joint venture partners both on and off line.

The ultimate advantage will happen once you and I achieve status in a field of our choice. For example, I am a professional storyteller. I want other storytellers and listeners to suggest me for events, gigs and for information about storytelling, both on my Storytelling Power website and through my e-mail address.

Let me share some of the variety covered by quotations I found on status:
  • In a way, the sense of quality has improved, the status symbol of the small things is gone, and it is acceptable to use stainless steel, even if the neighbor uses silver.” - Arne Jacobsen, Danish architect
  • I find celebrity status difficult to bear when I am in the company of my mother.” – Phil Donahue, American TV personality
  • I have no nationality - the best possible status for an intellectual.” - Emile M. Cioran, Romanian philosopher
  • I'm not interested in preserving the status quo; I want to overthrow it.” - Niccolo Machiavelli, Italian writer
  • The manager accepts the status quo; the leader challenges it.” - Warren G. Bennis, American psychologist
  • The bicycle is a former child's toy that has now been elevated to icon status because, presumably, it can move the human form from pillar to post without damage to the environment.” - Brock Yates, American editor
  • I'd like to believe that the women who wear my clothes are not dressing for other people, that they're wearing what they like and what suits them. It's not a status thing.” - Marc Jacobs, American designer

And three more to think about and chew upon:

  • Any woman who chooses to behave like a full human being should be warned that the armies of the status quo will treat her as something of a dirty joke. That's their natural and first weapon. She will need her sisterhood.” - Gloria Steinem, American activist
  • I think I've matured to a great extent. I think that I want different things now. That it's not about the celebrity status that you receive because you're doing the next hot movie. It's about doing good work.” - Emilio Estevez, American actor
  • I think the sexiest thing on anybody is intelligence. I respect somebody who has a brain and wants to use it more than a pretty face and status.” - Sophia Bush, American actress

I can relate to all three of the above quotations. How about you? What are your feelings and aspirations concerning status? I would love to hear from you.