Sunday, February 20, 2011

Curious about Moving: Pros and Cons and Lessons Learned

Definition of Moving: The act of changing place or posture; esp., the act of changing one's dwelling place or place of business.

Human beings are the only animal that thinks they change who they are simply by moving to a different place. Birds migrate, but it's not quite the same thing.” - Doug Coupland, Canadian author

We're all moving, moving, moving. Isn't it nice?” - Charles Olson, American poet

I did choose my topic (theme) a couple of weeks ago, but as you probably know, I have been in the throes of moving, packing, unpacking, and organizing for the whole month of February and before. When I looked up the moving quotations, I did find many good directions, which I will introduce in this week’s e-newsletter – coming to your mailbox in a couple of days.

So far, I am thrilled with my new location. But, even so, I have been heard to proclaim, “I will never move again.” Yes, not being a bird, I do feel that I have changed with this move. I am closer to the two gyms where I teach fitness and am now part of a Senior Community. The people I have met so far are delightful and welcoming.

I have found my favorite grocery store in duplicate, twice the size, and with the same reasonable prices I am used to. The library is within walking distance and my favorite big box store is bigger and boxier. Both my banks are on my route to and from the gyms along with several variety packed shopping centers.

But that’s not all! I have a balcony (a bit cold right now for lounging) that overlooks the Lake (Erie), so this Spring, Summer, and Fall will find me celebrating the water and the breathtaking sunsets. As I have said before, “I love Cleveland, Ohio,” and it just got even better!!

Since I am planning to use my “moving” theme and quotations in this week’s Portfolio Potpourri, I will start sharing some of them here:

  • We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” - Walt Disney, American cartoonist
  • If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself.” - Henry Ford, American businessman
  • If what you are doing is not moving you towards your goals, then it's moving you away from your goals.” - Brian Tracy, American author
  • The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it.” - Elbert Hubbard, American writer
  • Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answer.” - Denis Waitley, American writer
  • The important work of moving the world forward does not wait to be done by perfect men.” - George Eliot, British author
  • Belief like any other moving body follows the path of least resistance.” - Samuel Butler, British poet

And, just a few more:

  • For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. And I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction.” - Michelle Obama, American First Lady
  • I'm trying to get in the habit of, you know, picking up a book and learning how to write my feelings down, not my feelings but my thoughts, about things, and hopefully I'll moving toward the writing and directing thing soon.” - Corey Haim, Canadian actor
  • You are always a student, never a master. You have to keep moving forward.” - Conrad Hall, American artist
  • Risk means everything from being honest about your faith, to moving, to quitting a job that's paying you a fortune but it's not what's in your heart. Risking things is one of the biggest fears we have.” - John Tesh, American musician
  • Dr. King is so inspiring, so impressive, so moving as a human being.” - Michael Bolton, American musician
  • To me, if life boils down to one thing, it's movement. To live is to keep moving.” – Jerry Seinfeld, American comedian

And, I don’t agree with Sean Connery, Scottish actor, who said, “I haven't found anywhere in the world where I want to be all the time. The best of my life is the moving. I look forward to going.”

How about you? Have you moved lately? There are many ways to move – some eye opening and rewarding – others loaded with work and change. However, I am glad I have moved and am looking forward to an exciting future.