Sunday, October 05, 2008

Curious about Fitness: Do You Pursue It? The Importance of and Top Tips About It

Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity.” - John F. Kennedy, American President

As I have mentioned before, I teach 12 group fitness classes a week. Some would and do say that is a bit obsessive and others question the time involvement in a far-from-high-paying career. Well, all I can say is that the benefits of my exercising, along with helping class participants with their physical fitness, are worth more than I can express.

Physical fitness is beyond wealth and price! I feel wonderful and so do my regular students. I wake up with energy and still have lots of extra energy as the day progresses into evening. I don’t get colds, the flu, or other maladies. The exciting fact is that we are never too old or out-of-shape to pursue exercise. Our bodies and minds react favorably to consistency and patience.

Let me share some quotations from the experts:
  • You must also give mental and physical fitness priority.” - Jim Otto, American athlete
  • It's not about weight, it's about fitness, and one component of being fit is to have relatively low body fat, because fat is not very efficient, whereas muscle is.” - Deborah Bull, British dancer
  • Personally, I need a high level of physical fitness in order to feel at ease.” - Jurgen Klinsmann, German athlete
  • We are involved in youth testing internationally. We want to try to prove without a shadow of a doubt the relationship between physical fitness and health, not just physical fitness and ability to perform.” - Kenneth H. Cooper, American soldier
  • They both go together; you can't be in front of the camera hosting a fitness television show in front of 75 million households and not have trained 6 days per week year round - in a bikini no less.” - Kiana Tom, American model
  • I have long recognized a link between fitness and mental health and I think we need to encourage young people to take part in sports and team activities because we know it has such positive results.” - Tipper Gore, American celebrity

And a few more:

  • My experience as a school nurse taught me that we need to make a concerted effort, all of us, to increase physical fitness activity among our children and to encourage all Americans to adopt a healthier diet that includes fruits and vegetables, but there is more.” - Lois Capps, American politician
  • “There are similarities between business and sport, in the pressures involved and in the fitness aspect too.” - Peter Shilton, English athlete
  • As the proud father of two teens and past Chairman to the Presidents Council on Physical Fitness and Sports, I am committed to educating parents and especially young people on ways to live a long, healthy and active life.” - Lee Haney, American athlete
  • Find fitness with fun dancing. It is fun and makes you forget about the dreaded exercise.” - Paula Abdul, American musician

I urge you to make sure that you set a physical fitness goal and concentrate on making it a reality. When you pick your approach to exercise, keep in mind the following quotation:

Fitness needs to be perceived as fun and games or we subconsciously avoid it.” – Alan Thicke, Canadian actor

And, write me with your victories and progress. It will take time, but I guarantee that it will be well worth it!