Sunday, March 28, 2010

Curious about Commitment: What Does It Mean to You? What Are You Committed To? How Much?

Definition of Commitment: The act of committing, or putting in charge, keeping, or trust; consignment. The act of referring or intrusting to a committee for consideration and report; as, the commitment of a petition or a bill. The act of pledging or engaging; the act of exposing, endangering, or compromising; also, the state of being pledged or engaged.

The only limit to your impact is your imagination and commitment.” - Tony Robbins, American author

My commitment is my commitment.” - Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, Spanish statesman

I will ask again. “What is your commitment and how committed are you?” I feel fortunate to live in Cleveland, Ohio, and to be working in the fitness and health field. Why? Because our own Cleveland Clinic is sponsoring a program called “Go-Fit.” This is their commitment to helping residents get healthy and fit.

Participants get 90 days of interactive membership at their local YMCA. The goal is to help them realize and enjoy the benefits of working out – and, in my opinion, hook them into exercise for life. They must be committed enough to come to the club three times a week, have a weekly assessment, and undergo a more comprehensive assessment at the end of each month.

So many signed up, waiting lists were created for spaces left by those who were not committed enough to stick with the 90 day procedures. The good news is that many on the waiting list are now starting. But, the bad news is that so many were not committed enough to stick with the program. It does make me sad.

Yes, I know that it is hard work. Muscles can hurt and ache the next few days. You are tempted to stay home and rest.

Don’t! No matter what you are committed to – especially a challenging goal, for example – stick with it. You will be so glad you did. And, your self confidence will soar.

I found a plethora of commitment quotations, so here goes:
  • You need to make a commitment, and once you make it, then life will give you some answers.” - Les Brown, American businessman
  • The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.” - Martina Navratilova, American athlete
  • Through this additional support, we must renew our commitment to provide talented young people with the opportunity to build scientific careers based on their curiosity, the same opportunity that was provided to me when I began my work.” - Kenneth G. Wilson, American scientist
  • It was character that got us out of bed, commitment that moved us into action, and discipline that enabled us to follow through.” - Zig Ziglar, American author
  • It was not until I had graduated from college that I made a professional commitment to it. Frankly, I didn't think it wise. I was my own interior parental force, and it's very difficult to justify a profession as a dancer.” - Twyla Tharp, American dancer
  • Growing up on a dairy farm, you certainly learn discipline and a commitment to purpose.” - Mike Johanns, American politician
  • Hardcover books are fairly expensive these days and to read one requires a significant commitment of time in our busy society. So I want to make sure that when readers buy one of my books they get something they're familiar with.” - Jeffery Deaver, American writer

And a couple more to add some spice to the article:

The capacity to combine commitment with skepticism is essential to democracy.” - Mary Catherine Bateson, American scientist

Journey with me to a true commitment to our environment. Journey with me to the serenity of leaving to our children a planet in equilibrium.” - Paul Tsongas, American politician


I ask again. What are you committed to? Make a list. If you are at all like I am You will be surprised how long it is.