Sunday, March 07, 2010

Curious about the Core: It Has Many Meanings and Impacts Us In Many Different Ways

Definition of Core: heart or inner part of a thing, as of a column, wall, rope, of a boil, etc.; especially, the central part of fruit, containing the kernels or seeds; as, the core of an apple or quince. The center or inner part, as of an open space; as, the core of a square. The most important part of a thing; the essence; as, the core of a subject.

The turning point in the process of growing up is when you discover the core of strength within you that survives all hurt.” - Max Lerner, American journalist

Human beings crave freedom at their core.” - John Ensign, American politician

I chose the core as this week’s theme for several reasons. First of all, I mention our core in all of the group fitness classes I teach (12 a week). It is so important to our health, fitness level, alignment, and energy that we have a strong and lean core.

Next, I reviewed the excellent book by the Heath brothers, Made to Stick. Their first suggestion for making an idea or a story is to determine and state the core. Keep it simple and straight forward. Keep asking yourself, “What is the main idea? How can I simplify?”

The third reason is the strongest. Frank Kern is one of my favorite marketing gurus. He has always seemed to be the most real of the bunch. On Friday night I watched for close to two hours – without multi-tasking or straying from focus – his presentation of his program, “Core Influence.” It was incredible and, unlike so many other marketing guru programs, it did speak to my core and show how and why Kern is real. Note: Kern sometimes uses rough language and is a bit “off the wall” so be prepared.

As you can imagine, I found a good variety of wonderful core quotations:

  • My core beliefs revolve around the idea that we should live to the best of our abilities-we should live and let live.” - Enya, Irish musician
  • My athleticism was really the core to social acceptance, because in those days the overwhelming number of students came from more of a public school background than I did.” - Roger Bannister, British athlete
  • I'm fortunate in that I'm a lecturer too and this gets me out and about and away from the computer. I also have loads of friends all around the world, plus a core group of special people in my life that I can lean on, chat to, or just hang with.” - Paul Kane, English writer
  • If our core belief is based on what other people think, then we eventually will allow their opinions to become our reality.” - Darren L. Johnson, American author
  • If the Internet teaches us anything, it is that great value comes from leaving core resources in a commons, where they're free for people to build upon as they see fit.” -Lawrence Lessig, American educator
  • I admire the fact that the central core of Buddhist teaching involves mindfulness and loving kindness and compassion.” - Ron Reagan, American journalist

And two more that I especially love and relate to:

For books are more than books, they are the life, the very heart and core of ages past, the reason why men lived and worked and died, the essence and quintessence of their lives.” -
Gene Fowler, American journalist

Health is the core of human development.” - Gro Harlem Brundtland, Norwegian politician

How about you? How do you describe your core – values, beliefs, physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and financial? I find that it is an ongoing project that I always need to stop and consider.