Sunday, April 03, 2011

Curious about Title: How Much of a Difference Does It Make? To a Book, Person or Other?

Definition of Title : The inscription in the beginning of a book, usually containing the subject of the work, the author's and publisher's names, the date, etc. An appellation of dignity, distinction, or preeminence (hereditary or acquired), given to persons, as duke marquis, honorable, esquire, etc. A name; an appellation; a designation. That which constitutes a just cause of exclusive possession; that which is the foundation of ownership of property, real or personal; a right; as, a good title to an estate, or an imperfect title. The instrument which is evidence of a right.

A good title is the title of a successful book.” - Robert C. Gallagher, American sportswriter


You've got to realize. In the western world, regardless of what color you are, what title the music is, it's all played by the same notes.” - Ornette Coleman, American musician



I picked title for this week’s theme, because it sets the tone for acceptance – whether for a book, any kind of written material, a person, a movie or play, or music. I also wanted to introduce you to a fascinating and helpful website. At http://www.aminstitute.com/headline/index.htm , when you enter your title and/or headline (with 20 words or less), The Headline Analyzer goes to work.



This free tool will analyze your headline to determine the Emotional Marketing Value (EMV) score. As you know, reaching your customers in a deep and emotional way is a key to successful copywriting, and your headline is unquestionably the most important piece of copy you use to reach prospects.



Your headline will be analyzed and scored based on the total number of EMV words it has in relation to the total number of words it contains. This will determine the EMV score of your headline. In addition to the EMV score, you will find out which emotion inside your customer's your headline most impacts. It is a fun and great way to find out more about your title and/or headline.



As usual, I found an interesting variety of quotations. Let’s take a look:



  • The beauty of a main title is that you establish your main theme and maybe a bit of your secondary theme. You plant the seed that you're going to go water later in the score. And so, having that removed just made it so much more difficult.” - Danny Elfman, American musician

  • The word actress has always seemed less a job description to me than a title.” - Gene Tierney, American actress

  • Could you say 'senator' instead of 'ma'am? It's just a thing. I worked so hard to get that title. I'd appreciate it.” - Barbara Boxer, American politician

  • J. Lo is also an homage to my fans. That's what fans call me on the streets, and I like it. So giving the album this title is my way of telling them that this is for them, in appreciation of their support.” - Jennifer Lopez, American musician

  • Jigsaw Lady is the working title of a science fiction novel I've had in my head for darn near 15 years. I think I'll start work on it next year (in all my spare time) but I'd like to get it finished some day.” - Raymond E. Feist , American author

  • Seven is a lucky number, so I plan to do a lot of lucky things with my seventh place title.” - Anwar Robinson, American musician

  • That is what the title of artist means: one who perceives more than his fellows, and who records more than he has seen.” - Edward Gordon Craig, British actor
And, a few more:

  • Titles are but nicknames, and every nickname is a title.” - Thomas Paine, English writer

  • Oh, that lovely title, ex-president.” - Dwight D. Eisenhower, American President

  • Let me tell you about being executive producer. It is not a job, it's a title. Don't go around asking executive producers what they do because they don't do anything, alright?” - Morgan Freeman, American actor

  • Each has his past shut in him like the leaves of a book known to him by his heart, and his friends can only read the title.” - Virginia Woolf, British author

  • When I was in college, I was the editor of the literary magazine and insisted neither the editors nor the writers be specifically identified-only our student numbers appeared on the title page. I love that idea and still do.” - Jonathan Carroll, American author

  • When you won that title you should know now that you are representing a whole country or nation with your actions and you are now in a glass house or under a microscope and you better be ready to make your people proud.” - Alexis Arguello, Nicaraguan athlete

  • My bad habits aren't my title. My strengths and my talent are my title.” - Layne Staley, American musician
I also found it interesting that some authors title their books when finished while others title at the start of writing. “We don't have to think up a title till we get the doggone book written.” - Carl Sandburg, American poet and writer “I do not believe in inspiration, but I must have a title in order to work, otherwise I am lost.”- Guillermo Cabrera Infante, Cuban novelist Do test out the headline analyzer and let me know what you think.