Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Curious about Core Competencies

In January of this year, I became a member of a fascinating forum set up by Sean D’Souza of www.psychotactics.com. If you join his 5000bc membership, you will become a part of his Cave Chat - a mastermind group of small business people from all over the world.

Recently, Sean gave us this challenge, “Sit down with a piece of paper and figure out what your core competencies (he specified to pick only three) really are. What do you do best? What can you do to leave your competition scowling in the dust? Then put them down on that sheet of paper and work toward achieving those core competencies.”

As an Independent Professional with a “Portfolio Career” (many different careers), I found the hardest part of this assignment to be picking only three. After all I have competencies in many areas.

Then, I started to focus on the three core competencies that I use in every career, every project, and every differing task. I asked myself what my greatest strengths are and what combination of strengths makes me and the work I perform unique.

Across the board, I realized that the following three are definitely my top three core competencies:
  • Creativity - I describe myself as a Creative Resource, because I not only attack my own writing and projects creatively, but I also help clients, readers of my articles and e-newsletters, students and friends access their own creativity. Together we combine old, new and different ideas to produce strong and successful results.
  • Relationships - having strong relationships with clients, groups, students, readers, organizations and other business owners has propelled my career forward more than any other factor. I love working with people I like and they prefer to work with someone who likes them and who they like - me. I have learned (and usually the hard way) that if a working relationship will not be pleasant for all concerned, it is better to walk away - no bridges burned and no hard feelings.
  • Passion - to me, if I am not passionate about a project, a task, or a career, I should never get involved with it. I am naturally a passionate and enthusiastic person, so find passion in most jobs and careers that I tackle. I also note that my passion is easily transferred to others, so they become passionate and enthusiastic in turn. And, guess what? This grows creativity and great relationships.

Thank you, Sean, for the challenge. I now know what three core competencies to emphasize, work to strengthen even more than before and to use to their fullest.

Now, I am going to challenge you, the reader of this blog, to name your three core competencies. And do add them to the comments, so we all can read them!