Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Curious about a "Portfolio Career" - What Is It?

When I tell people I have a “Portfolio Career,” their eyes light up and they usually ask, “What is it, anyway?”

For those who do not already know me, it is a career that consists of two or more careers - some people think of it as “moon-lighting” or “free-lancing” -but it can be much more than that. Also, the careers can be similar - most of mine involve communications, design and fitness - or they can be completely different. Most of us have many talents!

I teach a class called, “How to Discover Your Core Passion.” Most of the participants are there because they dislike the work they are doing, have been down-sized or are coming out of retirement/home making. I have noticed that quite a few of them become excited when I mention my “Portfolio Career.”

“You mean, it is OK to have more than one career?” they ask. My answer is that whatever works for you is OK, and having a bunch of different careers - which I have consistently had since High School - is not only interesting and exciting, but also FUN!

Of course, there are pros and cons, and a “Portfolio Career” is not for everyone.

When I first started this curiosity blog
, I mentioned that I was working with an online assessment tool and would be posting self-assessments and self-tests. My first one is up and running. If you are curious about whether or not you would love having a “Portfolio Career” click HERE and you will be taken to The Portfolio Career Self Test.

You will receive a score with results and an e-mail with all of the questions and your scores. This will give you an idea of what it takes to happily succeed with a “Portfolio Career!”

And, do let me know what you think. Now that I have figured out how to set up assessments and tests, I will be posting many more. What FUN!

P.S. If you are interested, right now my “Portfolio Career” consists of website design/development, marketing, speaking, storytelling, writing, training and teaching fitness classes. And, yes, I love and am passionate about all of them.