Sunday, February 20, 2005

Curious about the Weather: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

I live in Cleveland, Ohio. And yes, when it comes to weather, we are known for an abundance of “gray days” and the unpredictability due to our “Lake Effect.” A good example is last Tuesday when it was sunny with a temperature in the lower 60 degrees, and by Wednesday morning it was snowy, cold, gray and down to the 30 degree range.

A lot of people complain about the weather, but a short essay I heard this morning on NPR made me consider the good, the bad and the ugly of weather.

A man who had moved to “Paradise” - a beautiful spot in California - was bemoaning the fact that they hadn’t had rain for years, and he really missed thunder, lightning and storms in general. Of course, parts of California are now experiencing debilitating rain that is causing terrible mud slides - I can’t even imagine them and the disastrous effects..

One other note about weather that he mentioned was its newsworthiness. It almost overshadows the reporting of crimes, politics and war in the media. When we witness the news about the terrible weather disasters around the world, so many of us - usually secretly - are relieved that we live where we do. Even if our weather isn’t perfect!

So in this short blog, I thought I would list some of the good, the bad and the ugly of weather, as I see it:

  • The state of the weather always serves as a good conversational topic - even with total strangers. It is easy to turn to someone and say, “Well, spring should be upon us soon.”
  • Weather offers challenges that keep us from ever becoming bored. We have to deal with snow and ice on the roads some days. Other days bring us rain that produces puddles the size of ponds and lightning that robs us of electricity.
  • I notice that on the sunny days - whether warm or cold - everyone seems to be in a better mood.
  • Personally, I enjoy the change in seasons. One reason is that I enjoy clothes and planning my outfits for the varying times of year.
  • When we have a snow like last week’s, the beauty - especially the trees - is breathtaking.
  • The change of seasons also brings color and excitement to the eyes. It is fun to experience the ever-changing canvas of the environment. I love flowers and to garden, so thoroughly enjoy working on my small roof garden and waking up to a show of color.
  • And being someone who thrives on change, I admit that I enjoy the changing weather.

So, how do you feel about the weather? Are you sick of winter already, or do you live in a paradise without cold and snow? Or, do you love snow like two of my children who live near Vail in Colorado. They live to ski!

Tell me about your good, bad and ugly weather experiences.